Federal employee claims

Contact Us

Federal Employee Claim Lawyer

Fighting for the Rights of Federal Employees

Through their agency's EEO process, many federal employees experience mistreatment. However, the deadline to act in such matters is often very short, sometimes as little as forty-five (45) days from the date of the adverse employment action. Depending on the circumstances, other federal employees may need to file claims with the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) or the Defense Office of Hearings and Appeals (DOHA). 

If you are a federal employee looking to file a complaint against your agency employer, you need a legal professional who understands how to navigate these cases. At Bennett Legal Services, we represent employees pursuing claims with the EEOC, MSPB, and DOHA. Our federal employee claim lawyer has 35 years of experience and is prepared to fight for you every step of the way. Whether you were wrongfully terminated or subject to discriminatory treatment, we recognize what is at stake and will work to secure the compensation and relief you deserve.

Schedule a free initial consultation by contacting us online or calling (888) 807-5755. Flexible payment options are available.

How the Claims Process Works for Federal Employees

As a federal employee, you must first contact your agency’s EEO officer within 45 days of the incident. 

After engaging your EEO officer, you will have two options:

  • Request an informal investigation. The EEO officer will speak to the involved parties and give you a report within 30 days.
  • Participate in mediation. In this form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), you and the defendant will work with a trained mediator to find a resolution to the conflict. You are not obligated to agree to a resolution.

At the end of the informal investigation or attempted mediation, you will receive written notice that explains your right to file a formal complaint – no matter the result. Upon receiving this notice, you will only have 15 days to file your formal complaint with your agency. The agency will conduct a more thorough, formal investigation.

After 180 days, you will have two options:

  • Request a Final Agency Decision (FAD). A FAD is a decision explaining whether your agency believes you were subject to unlawful treatment. If your agency decides against you (and they often will), you have the right to appeal with the Office of Federal Operations (OFO), a division of the EEOC. This appeal will exclusively involve written arguments and will not include a hearing. You can also proceed to federal court.
  • Request a hearing. Your request will be handled by an EEOC administrative judge. There will be a discovery process through which you and your legal team can obtain documents and information from your agency (and vice versa). The judge assigned to your case may decide a hearing is not warranted and issue a decision without one. If a hearing is scheduled, it will resemble a typical trial, with each side having the chance to question witnesses and present evidence. If the judge decides against you in either scenario, you can appeal with the OFO or proceed to take your case to federal court.

Bennett Legal Services can help you decide how best to approach your complaint. We understand how to effectively advocate for you in these settings and will ensure you miss no relevant deadlines.

Recovering Compensation through a Private Lawsuit

Though you may be awarded compensation at any point during the administrative process, many federal employees are initially denied justice. After receiving an unfavorable FAD or an unfavorable decision in a hearing before an EEOC judge, you may receive permission to file a private lawsuit against your agency.

Our federal employee claim lawyer will work to recover compensation for:

  • Lost wages and benefits
  • Up to $300,000 in compensatory damages for emotional trauma
  • Legal fees

In addition to recovering monetary damages, you may also be entitled to other forms of relief. If you were fired from your federal position on discriminatory grounds, for example, a judge can order that you be reinstated. 

As a federal employee, you have very limited time to take action when your rights have been violated. Contact us online or call (888) 807-5755 to discuss your case with Bennett Legal Services today.

Schedule A Consultation Today!

We can help with your employment law case.

Submit Your Information