EEOC Claims

Contact Us

EEOC Claim Attorney

Bringing Your Case before the EEOC

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is the federal agency that enforces most of the federal laws protecting workers against employment discrimination. As an employee, for most claims of employment discrimination, you will need to file a claim with the EEOC before you can explore other legal options, including a private lawsuit.

If you are an employee who has been subject to unlawful treatment, you will only have a limited time to file a claim with the EEOC. Our EEOC claim lawyer has 35 years of experience practicing in this area, and our team at Bennett Legal Services regularly represents employees of private companies, the federal government, local and state governments, and educational institutions. We can handle the drafting and submitting of your claim and advocate for you throughout the investigation and negotiation processes. Your case is important to us, and we will do everything we can to help you seek justice. 

Call (888) 807-5755 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation today. Flexible payment options are available.

How EEOC Claims Work

If you believe you are a victim of employment discrimination, you should immediately get in touch with a legal professional. Time is of the essence, as the EEOC enforces strict deadlines for reporting complaints. Generally speaking, the clock begins ticking as soon as the unlawful act occurs.

As a private employee, you may only have 180 days from the date of the most recent incident to file a claim with the EEOC. This deadline may be extended to 300 days if a state or local law covers the same unlawful activity, but do not assume you have extra time. Federal employees have even shorter timelines for bringing such claims.

After filing, the EEOC will investigate your complaint and inform your employer of the allegations. This investigation can take several months. 

If the EEOC believes your rights were violated, you and your employer will receive a Letter of Determination. The EEOC will work with you and your employer to negotiate a resolution. If a resolution cannot be reached, the EEOC can either choose to litigate the matter on your behalf or give you permission to pursue a private lawsuit. 

Alternatively, if the EEOC does not think there is enough evidence to support your complaint, you will receive a Dismissal and Notice of Rights. This gives you the ability to file a private lawsuit against your employer within 90 days. 

Keep in mind that you normally cannot skip the EEOC process and jump straight to suing your employer, even if you are confident that you have the evidence you need to win. In most cases, you must go through the EEOC process and receive a Notice of Right to Sue before you can initiate private litigation. 

Our EEOC claim attorney knows how to effectively navigate these administrative proceedings. We are prepared to zealously represent your interests in all hearings, appeals, and negotiations. 

Alternatives to Filing a Complaint with the EEOC

Many states, local governments, cities, and towns have passed their own laws and statutes against employment discrimination. Discrimination claims may be filed with the applicable local government agency, such as the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights, DC Office of Human Rights or the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. You may also choose to pursue a complaint before these agencies if their statute of limitations exceeds the deadlines enforced by the EEOC. Our EEOC claims attorney can evaluate your options and recommend the most advantageous course of action.

Do not wait to discuss your case with Bennett Legal Services. Contact us online or call (888) 807-5755 to get started on your claim.

Schedule A Consultation Today!

We can help with your employment law case.

Submit Your Information